Sunday, March 30, 2014

Planting Hope, Seed Day


March 30. I should be out prepping my garden beds. Instead, I spent most of the day gazing out the window dumbfounded by the mix of sleet and snow falling from the sky. Eventually I decided I could garden inside, turning the kitchen table into a potting station.
Turns out inside gardening is still incredibly relaxing. I'd had a headache since the night before. About an hour in I realized it had dissipated somewhere between the basil and Sicilian purple cauliflower seeds. I'd posted the above picture on Facebook and a friend commented that it was hopeful. 

That sounds about right: As I eagerly poured through seed packets, I was planning recipes for my future bounty. Completely discounting the reality that most of them won't even sprout (though I hedge my bets, putting a few seeds in each pot) and of those that do, only some will survive being transplanted into the ground and just a fraction of those will make the gauntlet of moles, slugs, deer and weather that awaits them outside. 

But for now, they are tucked safely in my windowsill, giving me something to look forward to. I guess it is spring after all!
Cake stand with dome makes for a pretty terrarium for sprouting seeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment