Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Claiming Lost Closet Corners

In theory, we have a large master bedroom closet. It is over 60 square feet. Unfortunately, that size takes the long way. It’s a little over 2 feet deep, stretching across 26 feet, the whole length of our room and the "short" wall of our bathroom. There are three points of access, each 4' wide. That means that means 10 feet of linear space is basically hidden behind walls. It's a no-man’s land, where clothes go to die.

Once something was hung in a wall area, it virtually disappeared. Plus, the ways the door slide, I could only see half of the “open” area at once. So, for instance, of the 80 inches of closet in the bathroom, I could only view 24" at a time. While my dream is to one day break through into the attic space behind the closet and build a to-die-for walk-in closet, I grudgingly have worked within the existing structure. With $21 worth of short shower tension rods, I regained 6 feet of closet space, turning those dark corners into useful space.



By installing the tension rods perpendicular to the existing closet bars, I can actually see and maneuver through everything tucked into the recesses. Next up is motion sensor lighting and replacing the doors with curtains--I used the green one as an experiment, but am on the prowl for something a little brighter. I'd take the tracks down and make the switch to French doors, but I'd rather put that money aside for my attic closet fund. After all, I'd hate for all that time I spent drooling over closet ideas on Pinterest to go to waste. #DreamBig :)

No comments:

Post a Comment