Saturday, February 7, 2015

No-Sew Ottoman Make-over

This summer I inherited a storage ottoman from my parents. Because you are never too old for free stuff from the 'rents. Ever. I loved everything about it. The size, craftsmanship, comfort level. Oh, except for one (huge) thing--I hated how it looked. The top had scratches from their cats, and even sans claw marks, the fabric, while great at the time of purchase, hadn't been in style for a dozen or more years.

For months, I covered it in blankets, and eventually draped it with a burlap coffee sack. That sack has now been promoted to a permanent piece of the furniture, with the help of scissors, a staple gun and hot glue.


For the bottom section, which I decided to cover in burlap, I sliced and diced a dark gray curtain I found....where else....in Ikea As-is, for $6.90. My technique, such as it is, was pretty much acting like I was about to wrap a giant, awkward Christmas present. Using staples. 
  • Dissassemble the ottoman, removing the lid and feet
  • Drape fabric over where you want to cover. Mark this with chalk, and allow a few extra inches on the top and bottom. Cut. 
  • Line the fabric with the top, and start stapling away. Be sure to keep the fabric taut as you go. 
  • When you come to corners, pulling the fabric tightly, tuck and fold the fabric in (again, like on a present). I did mine with a straight fold along each edge, but you could get fancy and go diagnonal. 
  • Process was similiar for the top, other than I cut the back of the bag open so it'd wrap around the top. Then flipped it over and started streching and stapling.
  • For the open end of the bag, I tried stich witch, but it wouldn't take, I'm guessing because the burlap is so thick. Brought in my trusty glue gun as the closer. 
It's the first time I've redone something bigger than a chair cushion. And if you look closely, that probably shows. But guess what? Nobody's doing that? And for $15 worth of upcycled material and a little effort, I have an ottoman that I adore. I'm sure it will wear off, but after months of staring at or disguising those ugly stripes, this new look stops in my tracks when I enter the family room. Or maybe that's the constant, faint aroma of coffee.








No comments:

Post a Comment